Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Thing Five - Microblogging

Ok, so I joined Facebook and Twitter, easy enough and immediately was contacted by roommates from college - back when computers took up an entire room, the card catalog still had cards in it, and we all kept in touch with a rotary phone and pen and paper!

All the microblogging resources are a fine way to maintain connectivity globally with peers or with those in the know. I see it as a way to tap into human resources and keep connected to get guidance, share ideas and experiences. If used properly this definately opens up a world of opportunity for our students. Notice, I said properly. I'm hoping that in the 2nd year of Facebook use, our students will use it more for school and less for looking at pictures of their friends in provocative pictures. If anyone has some realistic ideas on how to manage the constant flow of kids out of class to check their facebook accounts - please let me know.

I really like the backchanneling especially when you have a library full of kids working on different projects that all have a common goal or theme, idea sharing can be instanteous - if you have the technology to support this. I think we do with the new technology that arrived this spring.

No comments: