Thursday, June 25, 2009

Thing Eight - Screencasts

Ok, so this was the one Thing that was the most frustrating so far. Four hours later I have decided to let this post go as is and hope that with practice I will get better. I promised myself - no stress or frustration this summer. I really hope to finish all 11.5 by the end of this weekend so I can put my laptop and desktop to rest so I can enjoy the month of July catching up on good books and R&R.

I tried several of the screencast options listed and found Jing the easier to use. Not easiest, but easier. The tutorals were helpful although I'm not sure that the embed link is correct. I followed the steps carefully. Anyway the link below takes you to a very simple example of what I would use screencasting for, just as we did when we first learned about Snagit. I guess they were one of the first to provide this kind of service? I haven't used it in a long time, I know it is loaded on my school laptop. I will revisit it and jing while preparing for the next school year.

As stated, this is a simple snapshot of Meriwether - our OPAC, there would be infinite uses to give step by step instructions for getting from point A to point Z in just about everything we teach and share in our libraries. But like everything else, will our patrons read our instructions? I would hate to go through the motions of preparing for it to be just one more thing that doesn't get read. I know that sounds a bit negative, but I found that the easier we try to make things for everyone, the less they take the time to read carefully. I know you know what I mean...

So if you click on the link below you will see my sample of Screencasting. If it was supposed to show directly in the blog, please someone tell me how to do that and I will fix it...

2009-06-25_1412

No comments: