Sunday, February 24, 2008

Thing Fifteen - Library 2.0 (No clever rhyme, this time)




There was so much to read, think about, and absorb in the tasks of Thing Fifteen, I decided to remind myself that this is supposed to be fun. Life just isn't the same without Bob Barker!

First of all I could not connect to the video that we were supposed to watch. But in true Library 2.0 fashion I went to the Rollyo search on LRP and searched and found it and was able to watch. I couldn't help but think that the procedures and policies that are so much in place in public schools do not allow our students to take full advantage of the Web/Library 2.0 world. If students can't use a cellphone or MP3 player in school, checkout a laptop, check email, or have access to all appropriate websites, we are definately not "getting with the program." There has be change all around.

I read all the articles. I still think that librarians will always serve as a guide to finding information in whatever format it comes in, and we will continue to coordinate collaboration at all levels. As for the "Just in Case" syndrome - nothing will ever replace the feeling you get when you place the right book, in the hands of a student. Even if that book sat on the shelf for decades. It was waiting for that one reader.

2 comments:

Grendel said...

Yes, this is supposed to be fun! Just let your natural cleverness and humor take over. I just love to read what you say in your dry, witty way! Of course, I know what it feels like to place the right book in the right hand, but I know you have also felt satisfied when you have led your student to access the appropriate information online. It is all one--to provide your patron/customer with what he/she needs; it's all about them!I look forward to your next "thing!" I do agree that we need to free up the tools that students can use at school. You've hit the nail on the head there!

Anonymous said...

I just left a comment on my own blog (theteachertimes.blogspot.com) in response to your comment there. (Actually, I left 2 comments which repeat the same thing, as I was trying to edit a mistake after I'd hit "publish"!) Anyways I wanted you to know how I feel about librarians in general, based on my personal experience with them. Thank you and keep up the good work!